Mars: During the dasha-antardasha of Mars in retrogression, the native will be full of fear and trouble from thieves, fire and snakes. He ay fall from the position held and may go to the forest, to live in solitude.
Mercury: In the dasha of retrograde Mercury the native gets good luck, wife, son and wealth. He also gets to hear the sacred texts from Puranas and engages in acts of charity and bathes in the sea.
Jupiter: The dasha of a retrograde Jupiter bestows on the native much wealth, wife, sons, victory in battles, friendship with the ruling elite and perfumes. He indulges in luxuries of speech.
Venus: During the dasha of retrograde Venus the native gets much honour from the ruler. He gets vehicles fitted with excellent music systems, fine clothes and ornaments and ruling powers.
Saturn: Retrograde Saturn in its dashas causes failures in actions, frustrations in undertakings, sorrows and loss of brothers. These results should not be applied verbatim as they will be modified due to other factors present in a chart. But one thing is clear from these results that the author of Sarvartha Chintamani has made a sharp distinction between malefics and benefics, and they remain so even if they are retrograde in the natal chart. The view given above is that of one author. Another author, equally acclaimed, if not more, Shri Mantreshwara of Phaladeepika, offers a strikingly different opinion. According to him a retrograde planet has the status of an exalted planet even if it is posited in an inimical sign - no distinction between malefic and benefic. This view may have some astronomical justification. The planet that is on the verge of becoming retrograde is almost stationary; and so is the case when it is about to become direct. To understand this better, one may imagine a child on a swing. When the swing is at its highest point, it is momentarily stationary, since it has to change the direction of its motion. Even in-between these extreme points, the planet is rather slow in motion as compared to its average speed. Thus it is possible for it to send its radiations more strongly to the earth. This view that a retrograde planet acquires an element of strength and beneficence is supported by Amsayu method of calculation of longevity. In this method the age contributed by a retrograde planet is to be trebled. Such additions, or bharanas as they are called, are to be done only in the case of those planets which are either exalted or retrograde. Howeve, our experience points out that the result of a retrograde planet are contrary to expectations, they are erratic, inconsistent and unpredictable. It may be so due to it native velocity. Predictive astrology seemingly assumes direct motion of planets and the results are based on this tacit assumption. But results become unexpected when this assumption is not true.
- The lagnesha and the karyesh aare in mutual aspect. (Tajik aspects are different from Parashari aspects: the 3, 5, 9, 11 positions from each other are friendly aspects; 1, 4, 7 and 10 positions are inimical aspects; the remaining 2, 12, 6, 8 positions are neutral to each other and, therefore, do not constitute an aspect).
- These two planets are within the orb in influence from each other. (The orb is deterined by the average of deeptamshs of the two planets. The deeptamshas are: Sun 15, Moon 12, Mars 8, Mercury 7, Jupiter 9, Venus 7 and Saturn 9 degrees).
- The faster moving planet is behind the slower moving planet. (Planets in order of decreasing motions are: Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn). Retrogression has some bearing on this third and the most important condition of the Ithasala yoga:
- retrograde fast moving planet at lesser longitude does not produce Ithasala yoga since its motion is in the opposite direction to that of the more advanced slow moving planet. They are actually moving away from each other, therefore, they are not likely to intermix.
- The intensity of Ithasala is increased if the slow moving planet is retrograde and has higher longitude.
- When both the lagnesha and the karyesha (or even one of them) are retrograde, debilitated, combust or otherwise weak, another yoga takes over this yoga. It literally means 'cancellation' of the Ithasala yoga. It is an unfavourable yoga and does not allow the event to fructity favourably.
- a benefit retrograde planet is a lord of an auspicious house and has a relationships with lagnesha or karyesha, some repeat action is likely, e.g., an interview or promotion exercise will be repeated and the result will be favourable.
- The result will remain favourable even if the planet involved in a malefic one, but besides the repeat action there would be obstacles and tensions.
- If the benefic retrograde planet is a Trik lord, the favourable result becomes doubtful due to problems and obstacles.
- If a malefic retrograde planet is a Trik lord, then cancellation of the event takes place due to various impediments.