Benefic and Malefic Planets
The chapter does not only talk about planet by planet list for each lagna, but spell out the rules in making this determination. Lordship of certain houses in the chart can make the planets deviate from their natural tendencies of doing good or bad. E.g. Jupiter, who is naturally the best beneficial planet, is not good for Kanya (Virgo) lagna. It is similarly neutral for Simha (Leo) lagna.
In the rules given below, Dr. Raman also talks about Kendradhipati Dosha, the blemish acquired by a natural benefic by virtue of lordship of an angle 4th, 7th or 10th house. The lord of Lagna does not get affected by this dosha.
Benefics for a lagna can be determined as:
- First house lord, other than moon,
- 9th and 5th lords (in that order)
- 10th, 7th and 4th lords (in that order), when they are not natural benefics. This isKendradhipati Dosha, which gets cancelled only when the aforesaid planet occupies its own sign.
- Natural malefics, when they become kendradhipatis.
Malefics are determined as:
- Lords of 3rd, 6th and 11th houses, in the opposite order,
- Any benefics that might be tainted with Kendradhipati Dosha.
- Moon as lord of Lagna,
- Lords of 8th and 12th house; although the chapter mentions only Sun and Moon as having this property, but in principle it can be applied to each planet.
Planets with evil streak
Jupiter, Sun, Mars
Saturn, Mercury, Venus
Saturn, Mercury, Mars, Sun
Jupiter, Moon and Venus
Mars, Jupiter, Sun
Mars and Sun
Mercury and Venus
Moon, Mars, Jupiter
Saturn, Mercury and Venus
Sun, Jupiter, Moon
Moon, Sun, Jupiter
Venus, Saturn, Mercury
Venus, Mercury, Saturn
Mars, Jupiter, Moon
Venus, Mars, Sun
Saturn, Sun, Venus, Mercury